I picked up and moved from Chicago to Wake Forest, NC, in 2011 for the more-temperate weather; the accessibility of the southeast’s cities, the mountains and the ocean; and the never-ending adventure. While I miss the amenities of Chicago, I certainly don’t miss the below-zero temperatures, the biting wind, or the inconvenience of snow. The Triangle of North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill and the surrounding towns) has provided a wealth of discoveries and a welcoming arts community. My, but North Carolina sure does love its artists of all kinds!
Some other stuff about me:
- Since 2002, I have been a first-line book reviewer for India Currents Magazine (San Jose, CA). During that time, I have reviewed over 60 books written by South Asian authors writing in English, and I have written feature articles about films and trends in South Asian literature. The books reviewed cover everything from cuisine to current events, from children’s books to young adult, from mainstream immigrant stories to thrillers.
- I also review YA books for Booklist, a publication of the American Library Association. Booklist provides YA, middle grade and/or chapter books each month for recommendation and review.
- And I’m the managing editor and a reporter for The Rolesville Buzz, a monthly community newspaper.
- In my spare time, I am working on my first young adult novel, The Hardest Thing, and my first adult novel, Practically Family. Of course, there are many more projects waiting in the wings along with a number of adult fiction titles.
- My time as a high school English/Speech teacher and later as a middle school paraeducator specializing in Reading/Language Arts/Technology provided insights into what kids want to and like to read.
- I love helping to foster reading for all ages and to encourage each reluctant reader to find the book or books that will sweep them up, take them away, and deposit them in a soft place to which they’ll return again and again, book in hand.
- The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (national and North Carolina)
- The North Carolina Writers Network
- Illinois Education Association (retired)
- National Education Association (retired)
- WCPE-FM The Classical Station Education Fund Committee